Disqus for e-linguisto

Who Vs Whom | Use In English

whom vs whom

  Rule: To know which one is the correct, you are obliged to use he/him methd to decide the right one.
  Easy way to know the correct one that: 
                                                         He related to Who
                                                         Him related to WHom
            
                  Examples:
            Who/Whom drunk my cup of tea?
            He drunk the tea. So, Who is correct.
    
            Who/Whom should I listen to?
            I shoiuld listen to him? So,Whom is correct
         
            Did you know who/whom broke the window.
            In this sentence there're two clauses: Did you know & who/whom broke the window.
            so what's important here is the second clause since it contains the who/whom. He broke the window.
            So Who is correct.
            
            I wonder Who/Whom was the phone for.
            In this sentence there're two clauses: I wonder & who/whom was the phone for.
            Again what's important here is the second clause since it contains the who/whom. the phone was for
            Him. So Whom is correct.
          
                              Incorrect: a kid whom I think is kidnapped.
                 In this case whom is not the object of I think. Put I think at the end and witness the folly: 
                 kid whom is kidnapped, I think.
                              Correct: a kid who I think is kidnapped
                  Learn to spot and avoid this too-common pitfall & enjoy your self with E-Linguisto


Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | E-Linguisto WebSite